Spectacular skyscrapers between desert and sea, first-class hotels and gourmet restaurants as well as Arabic tradition and museum culture: welcome to Doha. The capital of the desert state of Qatar stretches along Doha Bay. Highlights include the Corniche waterfront, the artificial Pearl Island and the National Museum. Bustling markets like Souq Waqif are a taste of Old Doha.
Between oriental tradition and western modernity – the small country in the east of the Arabian Peninsula also has plenty of activities to offer. How about a desert safari in Qatar’s largest desert in the southwest of the country? Or with a parachute jump over the Persian Gulf? Qatar is also known for kayaking in the mangrove forests of Al Thakhira and kite surfing along the coast. And anyone who just wants to lie on the beach can even do so in winter. Sealine Beach in Mesaieed is one of the most beautiful sandy beaches in the emirate.
Special entry regulations apply with regard to the World Cup in Qatar. Between 1 November to 23 December, entry into the country is only possible with the Hayya Card and a negative Covid-19 test. Visitors need a passport that is valid for at least six months. A free visa for up to 90 days stay is available upon arrival at Qatar airport.
1. Stroll along the Corniche waterfront promenade
2. See the city from the sea in a traditional dhow boat
3. Buy beautiful souvenirs at the Souq Waqif
4. Visit the artificial island The Pearl
5. Take a look at Qatar’s history at the National Museum
1. Explore the cultural village of Katara
2. Visit the Museum of Islamic Art
3. Take a city tour by bus at night
4. Stroll through the Venice-inspired Qanat Quarter
5. Take part in a camel ride through the desert
1. Visit the National Museum known as the “Desert Rose”
2. Marvel at the National Library designed by Rem Koolhaas
3. Take a stroll through the museum gallery in the cultural village of Katara
4. Visit the ancient fortress and UNESCO World Heritage Site of Al Zubarah
5. Buy the culture pass and get access to many places with it
1. discover the lively reefs on a snorkelling course.
2. glide over the Atlantic coast on a parasailing course
3. jet ski along the waterways
4. venture into deeper waters on board a fishing boat
5. book a kayak or canoe tour through the Everglades
Copyright title: moofushi / Adobe Stocks
The information published on this page is current as of the date of publication or update.