Budapest stretches along the Danube and consists of the historic districts of Buda and Pest, which are connected by picturesque bridges. The city offers an abundance of sights, including the impressive Parliament Building, the magnificent Chain Bridge and the romantic Fisherman’s Bastion. The metropolis on the Danube is a paradise for culture lovers with numerous museums, including the Hungarian National Museum and the Budapest Art Gallery. Last but not least, Budapest is the largest spa city in Europe: the city is rich in hot springs and historic bathhouses with thermal baths that invite you to relax. The city also has plenty for those who like to party: the lively nightlife with unique ruin bars and the picturesque Danube promenade provide entertainment until the early hours. Budapest skilfully combines tradition and modernity and casts a spell over travellers with its beauty and diversity.
There are more than enough sights in Budapest to fill several days. However, it’s also worth discovering destinations outside the city. Whether charming small towns, historic villages or the popular holiday region around Lake Balaton: the region around Budapest offers numerous opportunities to get to know this multifaceted country and its culture.
1. Get an insight into history and culture at the Hungarian National Museum
2. See the impressive collection of European art at the Museum of Fine Arts
3. Experience haunting insights into dark chapters of the 20th century in the House of Terror
4. Play on 150 historic pinball machines at the Pinball Museum
5. Experience history underground at the Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum
1. Look out over the city from the picturesque setting of the Fisherman’s Bastion
2. Enjoy beautiful views from the terrace of Buda Castle, especially in the evening
3. Enjoy the view of the Old Town and Danube from the Matthias Church’s observation deck
4. Look out over the city between Buda and Pest from the water tower on Margaret Island
5. Rewarding: the climb up Gellért Hill for its fantastic panoramic view
1. Bathe in an impressive setting at the famous Széchenyi Thermal Baths
2. Soak in the luxurious and artfully designed Gellért Thermal Baths
3. Enjoy the beautiful view of the city and the Danube in the Rudas Thermal Baths
4. Relax in a quiet atmosphere at the Lukács Thermal Baths
5. The Király Thermal Baths offer a unique historical atmosphere
Picture source title:
The information published on this page is current as of the date of publication or update.