The city in the southern Spain boasts an incredible 320 days of sunshine a year. Beautiful Málaga is located in the middle of the enclosed plain of the same name, surrounded by mountains and the Mediterranean coast. The port city is characterised by different cultures, and it has retained its cosmopolitan, relaxed and hospitable character to the present day.
In addition to numerous historical sites, such as the Moorish fortress Alcazaba and the Teatro Romano, Málaga is also one of Spain’s most important centres of art and culture as the birthplace of Pablo Picasso: the city has an abundance of important museums, galleries and events. Furthermore, with its location between the Mediterranean Sea and the mountains, Málaga is the perfect starting point for trips to the coast and the mountains.
Málaga is not only an interesting city break destination, it also offers an abundance of possibilities as a starting point for excursions to the Costa del Sol and the surrounding mountains. From here, you can explore coastal resorts such as Nerja, Marbella or Torremolinos, and go hiking through the beautiful landscapes of Andalusia and the impressive mountains.
1. An absolute must in Málaga: visit the Picasso Museum
2. Take a look at some contemporary art at Centre Pompidou Málaga
3. Marvel at the impressive collection of 19th and 20th century Spanish artists in the Carmen Thyssen Museum
4. Go on a mobile journey through time at the Automobile Museum
5. Discover historical artefacts and art at the Museum of Málaga
1. Enjoy spectacular views of the city from Gibralfaro Castle
2. Hike up Monte de San Anton and look over the Bay of Málaga
3. Look down on the Old Town from the walls of the Alcazaba fortress
4. Enjoy the view with a drink in the roof top bar at Hotel Málaga Palacio
5. Take a look over the Old Town from the roof of the Santa Iglesia Catedral Basílica de la Encarnación
1. Watch the hustle and bustle on the Plaza de la Merced
2. Discover small shops and pretty bars on the Plaza de la Constitución
3. Walk from the Plaza de la Marina through the harbour district
4. Enjoy the picturesque setting of the Plaza del Obispo
5. Explore street art, hip boutiques and trendy bars around the small Plaza de la Mercedita
Picture source title: © KikoStock/stock.adobe.com
The information published on this page is current as of the date of publication or update.