As the capital of Finnish Lapland, home to Santa Claus and located directly in the Arctic Circle, Rovaniemi promises authentic Nordic experiences and a picturesque, endless natural landscape. Quiet and solitude are not only found off the beaten track here. Rovaniemi is a small urban oasis in the middle of the Arctic wilderness, where culture, exciting outdoor activities and Christmas magic come together.
In winter, Lapland is transformed into a beautiful winter wonderland that is perfect for snow hiking, ski trips, dog sledging and watching the northern lights. The mild summers with daylight nights are ideal for hiking, camping and water sports on the Kemijoki and Ounasjoki rivers. A visit to a reindeer farm, sauna and Santa’s village, which is open all year round, are an absolute must on a trip to Rovaniemi.
The sun never sets in summer. In autumn, winter and spring, the northern lights shine in the evening sky. Lapland is the northernmost region of Finland and a popular destination for people who like to be out in nature and enjoy it with all their senses. In Finnish Lapland, visitors can experience real wilderness in various national parks and admire nature in all its beauty whether on foot, by bike or on skis in winter. The national parks offer plenty of space, extensive and well signposted hiking areas, spectacular gorges and dense pristine forests. The unspoilt landscapes provide a habitat for wild animals such as bears, lynx, cranes and eagles.
1. Visit Santa Claus in his village
2. Cross the Arctic Circle
3. Learn interesting facts about Lapland at the Arktikum
4. Enjoy the wonderful view from the local mountain Ounasvaara
5. Watch the magical northern lights in winter
1. Take a walk in the midnight sun
2. Go kayaking or canoeing on the Kemijoki and Ounasjoki rivers
3. Send your Christmas wishes to Santa Claus
4. Explore the surrounding area with a rented bike
5. Sail around Rovaniemi on a sauna raft
1. Glide through snow-covered forests on a reindeer sleigh
2. Or a little faster: steer your own husky sledge
3. Enjoy the wintry atmosphere at the Christmas village
4. Marvel at the icefalls in Korouoma National Park
5. Be enchanted by the northern lights
Picture source title:
The information published on this page is current as of the date of publication or update.