This is a great place to relax, partake in water sports or admire one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
The stunning sandy beaches, turquoise sea and abundant sunshine are more than enough reasons for the ideal beach holiday in Bodrum. The whitewashed houses and lush vegetation provide a pretty holiday backdrop. Family-run restaurants serve typical local dishes. In short, Bodrum has a real Mediterranean attitude towards life.
Is it worth leaving the holiday resort of Bodrum? Definitely! The eponymous Bodrum peninsula boasts green hills and romantic bays that offer an abundance of excursion destinations. One of them can only be reached by boat: the island of Kara Ada, also known as “Black Island”, is a nature reserve known for its hot sulphur water and mud baths. High above the fishing village of Gümüşlük is the mountain settlement of Karakaya, the perfect place to hike or take a break. Those interested in ancient sites should not miss the ruins of Pedasa, one of the oldest civilisations in the Aegean.
1. Dance the night away at the legendary Halikarnas nightclub
2. Enjoy the sunset with a dinner by the sea
3. Experience a typical Turkish night with folklore and belly dancers
4. Recharge after a night of dancing with a massage at a hammam
5. Attend a festival at the ancient theatre or visit the castle by the harbour
1. Rent a gulet (boat) and sail to a quiet, secluded bay
2. Jump into the crystal-clear water and go for a snorkel
3. Jet ski along the coast of Bodrum
4. Discover the world underneath the water on a half-day diving excursion
5. Immerse yourself in the history of shipbuilding at the Maritime Museum
1. Visit the ruins of Halicarnassus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world
2. Visit the Crusade Castle of St. Peter at the harbour
3. Rub shoulders with the rich in Yalikavak, 20 kilometres away
4. Browse the bazaar district of the old town and look for souvenirs
5. Take a day trip by boat to the Greek island of Kos
The information published on this page is current as of the date of publication or update.