Tradition meets modernity in Istanbul. Millennia-old buildings are a reminder of the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires. At the same time, Istanbul is a university city, a popular travel destination, a shopping paradise and a magnet for young people and artists from all over the world. An interesting and diverse metropolis that forms a bridge between Europe and Asia due to its location on two continents.
Haggling in Turkish bazaars is a sign of good manners. This means that there is no fixed price for clothes, souvenirs and jewellery – it does not apply to food, which does have fixed prices. Haggling at the bazaar is not only about money, but also about socialising. Sometimes, traders invite their (potential) customers to drink a cup of tea together.
1. Follow in the footsteps of the sultans at the magnificent Topkapi Palace.
2. Browse the Grand Bazaar for scarves, jewellery and other souvenirs while negotiating the best price.
3. Taste your way through the different kinds of delicious baklava made of puff pastry, honey and nuts.
4. Watching the sunset on the Galata Bridge.
5. Experience Islamic culture and attend a prayer in one of the numerous mosques.
1. Spend a morning in a museum, such as the Istanbul Modern or the Museum of Turkish and Islamic Art.
2. Relax with a massage at the hammam. That’s what a holiday is all about!
3. A coffee break, Turkish style – drink a typical Turkish coffee. Strong and aromatic!
4. Feast on Turkish street food, e.g. kebabs, and drink freshly squeezed pomegranate juice with it.
5. End the day with a boat trip on the Bosphorus and experience the city from the water.
1. Spend an afternoon on the rollercoasters and water slides at Vialand Theme Park.
2. Taste Turkish dondurma ice cream at one of the many ice cream stands.
3. Visit the Legoland Discovery Centre and get creative with Lego bricks.
4. Visit the Besiktas Istanbul football stadium or even catch a live match.
5. Marvel at sharks, rays and piranhas at SEALIFE Istanbul, the fifth largest aquarium in the world.
Bildquelle Titel: © Ryzhkov Oleksandr / Adobe Stock
The information published on this page is current as of the date of publication or update.